Saturday 1 October 2011

Spider Sense

Bertie Wooster spent his life sidestepping devious plans of his aunts to tie him up into nuptial knots.
However, the modern generation is not completely free from such perils of partnership.




by
Anuranjan Roy
-
"Don't hang around with your buddies after work today. Try to come home early."
-
A reasonably innocuous statement at breakfast time on a workday but I don't know why spider-sense is tingling, warning me of imminent unseen danger.
-
"Why?" I ask Mom "What's the deal?"
-
"Mr and Mrs. XYZ are visiting. Our very good friends from our days in Mysore. They've recently moved back to Kolkata."
-
My parents' 1 year in Mysore was just before I was born so at least I'll be spared the regular "Oooh! The last time I saw you was when you were wearing nappies. Look at you now!" routine... I think. "No, you did not see me in my nappies. I wasn't born the last time you met my parents."
-
"Will try to." I say and grab my motorcycle keys heading out to fulfil my quota of work owed to the world, a debt I shall have to keep paying up on till I reach retirement age.
-
It's a routine day at work by most definitions - chit-chatting, work, lunch at the canteen while simultaneously cursing the food as we eat it, deadly post-lunch drowsiness, attempts at work, "EOD is here and I haven't got half as far as I was supposed to..." tensions etc but I still have to get to the bottom of the spider-sense warning. So I decide to dilly-dally a little bit more at office than head back home.
-
I don't have to wait for too long after my regular departure time before my cell phone starts ringing. It's Mom.
-
"When are you going to get home? These folks are eager to see you."
-
"I'll be heading out soon." I reply while waiting for more obvious clues to their enthusiasm.
-
"Their daughter is here too. She's getting bored"
-
Aha! Spider-sense gets stronger.
-
"We wanted to give her something since this is the first time we are seeing her. Ummm... let's see. Why don't you get some chocolate for her ***on our behalf*** on the way back?" she continues.
-
"What?!! Chocolate? How old is she?" I enquire.
-
"About 23-24, I guess..."
-
Smooth.
-
"[Cough! Cough!] Oh no! Something came up at work. Probably won't be able to take off right now. Will call you later. Bye!" I say before hanging up and dedicating the next 2 hours to reading random articles on Google News via my office desktop.
-
Its 10:30 at night by the time I feel safe again to get set for the return journey. Any 'eager' parties should have taken the hint by now.
-
For all the traps and set-ups in the world, I've only got one message. Spider-sense never fails.

No comments:

Post a Comment